9th Dalai Lama
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Dalai Lama incarnations|
|Fourteen incarnation of the Dalai Lama|
Lungtok Gyatso (T. lung rtogs rgya mtsho ལུང་རྟོགས་རྒྱ་མཚོ།) (1 December 1805 – 6 March 1815), was the 9th Dalai Lama of Tibet. He was the only Dalai Lama to die in childhood and was first of a string of four Dalai Lamas to die before reaching 22 years of age.
"In 1807, he was recognized as the reincarnation of the Eighth Dalai Lama and was escorted to Lhasa with great ceremony. In 1810, he was enthroned at the Potala Palace. He took his novice vows from the Pachen Lama, who gave him the name Lungtok Gyatso. Unfortunately, he died in 1815 at the very young age of nine."
- Further reading
- The Ninth Dalai Lama, Lungtok Gyatso, Treasury of Lives
- 9th Dalai Lama (Wikipedia)
- "Short Biographies of the Previous Dalai Lamas". DalaiLama.com.
- Rinpoche, Khetsun Sangpo (Spring–Summer 1982). "Life and times of the Eighth to Twelfth Dalai Lamas". The Tibet Journal. VII (1 & 2).
- Mullin, Glenn H. (2008). The Fourteen Dalai Lamas: A Sacred Legacy of Reincarnation. Clear Light. ISBN 1-57416-092-3.
- ↑ "Short Biographies of the Previous Dalai Lamas". DalaiLama.com.