Jump to navigation Jump to search
baxiang (八相) refers to "eight episodes" in the life of any buddha that are identified in East Asian Buddhism.
The eight episodes are:
- descending from Tushita heaven to undertake a final life as a bodhisattva
- entering the mother’s womb,
- taking birth,
- renunciation (leaving his family to become a monk)
- overcoming Mara,
- turning the wheel of the dharma (dharmacakrapravartana), and
- passing into parinirvana.
There are alternate versions of this list.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Robert E. Buswell Jr., Donald S. Lopez Jr., The Princeton Dictionary of Buddhism (Princeton: 2014), s.v. baxiang