Claremont Graduate School
December 10, 1944 |
Brooklyn, New York, United States
|Based in||Buddhist Publication Society
Sangha Council of Bodhi Monastery
Yin Shun Foundation
|Teacher||Ven. Ananda Maitreya|
Bhikkhu Bodhi (born December 10, 1944), born Jeffrey Block, is an American Theravada Buddhist monk currently teaching in the New York and New Jersey area. He served as the second president of the Buddhist Publication Society and has edited and authored several publications grounded in the Theravada Buddhist tradition.
Bhikkhu Bodhi was born as Jeffrey Block in 1944 in Brooklyn, New York. He grew up in the Borough Park section of Brooklyn, where he attended elementary school P.S. 160. In 1966, he obtained a B.A. in philosophy from Brooklyn College. In 1972, he obtained a PhD in philosophy from Claremont Graduate University.
In 1967, while still a graduate student, Bodhi was ordained as a śrāmaṇera (novitiate) in the Vietnamese Mahayana order. In 1972, after graduation, Bodhi traveled to Sri Lanka where, under Balangoda Ananda Maitreya Thero, he received sāmaṇera ordination in the Theravada school and, in 1973, he received full ordination as a Theravada bhikkhu or monk.
In 1984, succeeding co-founder Nyanaponika Thera, Bodhi was appointed English-language editor of the Buddhist Publication Society (BPS, Sri Lanka) and, in 1988, became its president. In 2002, he retired from the society's editorship while still remaining its president.
In 2002, after retiring as editor of BPS, Bodhi returned to the United States. After living at Bodhi Monastery (Lafayette Township, New Jersey), he now lives and teaches at Chuang Yen Monastery (Carmel, New York), and is the president of the Buddhist Association of the United States.
- The Discourse on the All-Embracing Net of Views: The Brahmajala Sutta Commentarial Exegesis. Translated by Bhikkhu Bodhi. Kandy, Sri Lanka: Buddhist Publication Society, 1978.
- The Noble Eightfold Path: Way to the End of Suffering (1984, BPS; 2000, Pariyatti)
- The Middle Length Discourses of the Buddha: A Translation of the Majjhima Nikaya (with Ñāṇamoli Bhikkhu, 1995, Wisdom Publications)
- Numerical Discourses of the Buddha: An Anthology of Suttas from the Anguttara Nikaya (with Nyanaponika Thera, 2000, Altamira Press)
- The Connected Discourses of the Buddha: A New Translation of the Samyutta Nikaya (2000, Wisdom Publications)
- The Numerical Discourses of the Buddha: A Translation of the Anguttara Nikaya (2012, Wisdom Publications)
- A Comprehensive Manual of Abhidhamma: The Abhidhammattha Sangaha of Ācariya Anuruddha (2000, BPS Pariyatti)
- In the Buddha's Words: An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon (2005, Wisdom Publications)
- The Buddha's Teachings on Social and Communal Harmony: An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon (2016, Wisdom Publications)
- The Suttanipata: An Ancient Collection of the Buddha's Discourses and Its Canonical Commentaries (2017, Wisdom Publications)
- https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6U8-GTX5Puw , time 6:53.
- "Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi". Bodhi Monastery. Retrieved May 24, 2015.
- "Climbing to the Top of the Mountain". The Barre Center for Buddhist Studies. Archived from the original on April 17, 2012. Retrieved May 24, 2015.
- In Bodhi, Connected Discourses (2000), p. 5, Bodhi dedicates the tome to "the memory of my teacher Venerable Abhidhajamaharatthaguru Balangoda Ananda Maitreya Mahanayaka Thera (1896–1998) and to the memories of my chief kalyanamittas in my life as a Buddhist monk, Venerable Nyanaponika Mahathera (1901–1994) and Venerable Piyadassi Maha Thera (1914–1998)".
- "About BPS". Buddhist Publication Society. Retrieved May 24, 2015.
- "BPS "Newsletter" (1st Mailing 2008, No. 59)" (PDF).
Note: The author [Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi, related to the article "The Buddhist Publication Society of Kandy: A Brief Account of Its Contributions to Buddhist Literature," pp. 4–7] served as the editor of the BPS from 1984 until 2002 and has remained its president since 1988.
- "Lecture on Vesak Day by Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi". Buddhanet. Retrieved May 24, 2015.
- McLeod, Melvin, ed. The Best Buddhist Writing 2008, p. 333. Shambhala Publications, 2008. ISBN 9781590306154. Accessed May 10, 2017. "Bhikkhu Bodhi, an American Buddhist monk, was ordained in Sri Lanka in 1972.... He currently lives at Bodhi Monastery in Lafayette, New Jersey."
- "BAUS President Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi, 2013 -". Retrieved 2016-09-08.
- "Buddhist Global Relief". Retrieved May 24, 2015.
- Katz, Nathan (Sep., 1981). Review: The Discourse on the All-Embracing Net of Views: The Brahmajāla Sutta and Its Commentarial Exegesis by Bhikkhu Bodhi (Jeffrey Block), Journal of the American Academy of Religion 49 (3), 512-513
- "The Noble Eightfold Path The Way to the End of Suffering". Access to Insight. Retrieved May 24, 2015.
Search for videos:
- Search YouTube for: Bhikkhu Bodhi Buddhism
- What Makes a Life Truly Worthwhile? - Bhikkhu Bodhi
- Description: Venerable Bhikkhu Bodhi discusses Dhammapada verses 110-115 which address what should be the purpose of our life from a Buddhist perspective. The verses mention moral restraint, meditation, samadhi, insight, and wisdom. They compare a life of one hundred years without these to a life of one day with them.
- A Short Introduction to Buddhism Course by Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi - 1 (July 15th, 2018)
- Description: Course 1, Buddhism as a way of life, a way of understanding, a way to liberation. Who was the Buddha? The Buddhist approach to knowledge.
All people | Historical people | Living people | More people categories...
|This article includes content from Bhikkhu Bodhi on Wikipedia (view authors). License under CC BY-SA 3.0.|