Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche
Chökyi Nyima Rinpoche (b. 1951) is a renowned teacher and meditation master in the Kagyu and Nyingma traditions of Tibetan Buddhism. As a young child, he was recognized as an incarnation of the Tibetan meditation master Gar Drubchen and installed as the head lama of Drong Monastery in the Nakchukha region of Tibet.
In 1959, he fled Tibet to escape the occupation, and went with his family to India and Nepal, where he was able to study under many illustrious Tibetan Buddhist teachers. From 1974-1976, he helped his father, Tulku Orgyen Rinpoche to establish Ka-Nying Shedrub Ling Monastery in Kathmandu, Nepal. In 1976, he was enthroned as the abbot of Ka-Nying Shedrub Ling, and this monastery remains the center of his activity.
In 1974, Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche began teaching Western students, and since then he has established centers of meditation and Buddhist study around the world, and authored several books for Western audiences. He has also established the Rangjung Yeshe Institute for Buddhist Studies in partnership with Kathamandu University. This institue, hosted at the Ka-Nying Shedrub Ling Monastery, enables students from around the world to obtain BA, MA, and PhD degrees in Buddhist Studies.
Projects and Centers
Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche's projects and centers are listed below.
- Ka-Nying Shedrub Ling Monastery at Boudhanath - a study and practice center for Tibetan Buddhism.
- Rangjung Yeshe Institute - a study center located at Ka-Nying Shedrub Ling Monastery for mostly non-monastic students operated in co-operation with Kathmandu University offering BA, MA, PhD, and short term study opportunities.
- Thousand Buddha Temple, officially known as Pal Thubten Shedrub Ling - a new temple being built in Lumbini, Nepal - the UNESCO Heritage Site where Prince Siddhartha who became Buddha Shakyamuni was born.
- Asura Cave Retreat Center - a retreat center at the holy site in Pharping, Nepal in the Southern Part of Kathmandu Valley.
- Nagi Gompa Nunnery - a nunnery in Shivapuri National Park on the Northern edge of Kathmandu Valley.
- Hetauda Nunnery - a small nunnery 50km away from Kathmandu.
- Shenpen Nepal - a non-profit social work organization based in Nepal.
International Meditation Centers
- Ka-Nying Ling Dharma Society Kuala Lumpur - in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Rangjung Yeshe Gomde Denmark - near Aarhus, Denmark.
- Rangjung Yeshe Gomde Germany-Austria - near Scharnstain, Upper-Austria.
- Rangjung Yeshe Gomde Pyrenees - near Perpignan, France in a small village named La Bastide.
- Rangjung Yeshe Gomde Russia - near Moscow.
- Rangjung Yeshe Gomde United Kingdom - near Doncaster
- Dharma groups have also been established in New York, Mexico City, Israel, Holland, Sweden, Australia, Wales, Switzerland, and other places.
- Dharmachakra Translation Committee - is dedicated to making classical Buddhist literature available to modern readers in their native languages.
- Rangjung Yeshe Publications - presenting high quality translations of authentic Buddhist literature.
- DharmaSun.org - offers Rinpoche's famous Saturday Talks, the annual November seminars, teachings and advice to a global audience.
- Tara’s Triple Excellence - a daily online meditation program that guides one step-by-step along the path to enlightenment.
- Chökyi Nyima Rinpoche; Erik Pema Kunsang (translator) (1996). The Indisputable Truth. Rangjung Yeshe Publications. ISBN 962-7341-27-4.
- Chökyi Nyima Rinpoche (2004). The Bardo Guidebook. Erik Pema Kunsang (trans.). Rangjung Yeshe Publications. ISBN 962-7341-11-8.
- Chökyi Nyima Rinpoche (2004). Present Fresh Wakefulness: A Meditation Manual on Nonconceptual Wisdom. Rangjung Yeshe Publications. ISBN 962-7341-47-9.
- Chökyi Nyima Rinpoche (2004). Union of Mahamudra and Dzogchen: A Commentary on The Quintessence of Spiritual Practice, The Direct Instructions of the Great Compassionate One. Erik Pema Kunsang (trans.). Rangjung Yeshe Publications. ISBN 962-7341-21-5.
- Chökyi Nyima Rinpoche; David R. Shlim M.D. (2006). Medicine and Compassion: A Tibetan Lama's Guidance for Caregivers. Wisdom Publications. ISBN 0-86171-512-8.
- Chökyi Nyima Rinpoche; Tsikey Rinpoche Chokling; Dudjom Rinpoche; Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche (2008). The Great Gate: A Guidebook to the Guru's Heart Practice, Dispeller of All Obstacles. Rangjung Yeshe Publications. ISBN 962-7341-04-5.
- Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche (2018). Sadness, Love, Openness: The Buddhist Path of Joy. Shambhala Publications. ISBN 9781611804881.
- "Monks & Nuns – Ka-Nying Shedrub Ling & affiliated Buddhist Monasteries and Nunneries for the Study & Practice of the 3 Yanas". monksandnuns.org. Retrieved 2018-04-26.
- "Centers – Gomde". gomde.org. Retrieved 2018-04-26.
- "Shedrub – The Online Home of Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche". shedrub.org. Retrieved 2018-04-26.
Search for videos:
- Search YouTube for: Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche Buddhist
- Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche - The benefits of studying Buddhism
- Description: Rangjung Yeshe Institute In this video, Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche explains in detail the benefits of academic study of the Buddha's teachings, reminding us that academic understanding brings great benefit not only to the student themselves, but to others around them and in the wider world. The opportunity that we offer at Rangjung Yeshe Institute, is precisely this: To study the Buddha's teachings academically to a very high standard (up to PhD level), but within a living tradition. Here at RYI, students are surrounded by practice as well as theory, by the depth of Tibetan as well as Western scholarship. As Rinpoche says, this offers the chance to become a Scholar-Practitioner, someone who understands the teachings and can also apply them in daily life.
- Medicine and Compassion: Kindness is Within Yourself
- Description: Chökyi Nyima Rinpoche discuss the kindness within us with Dr. David R. Shlim, his co-author of the text "Medicine and Compassion: Kindness is Within Yourself".
- The most Important thing by Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche
- Description: Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche speaks on a universal theme: what is the most important to know, what truly helps our minds and hearts. In replies to questions from Erik Pema Kunsang, one of his first Western students, Rinpoche covers the topics of kindness, compassion and insight.
- Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche on being a dharma student
- Description: Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche provides commentary on being a student of the dharma. Filmed in Nepal. This clip is an outtake from the film "Recalling a Buddha: Memories of the Sixteenth Karmapa."
- Outer vs. Inner Guru and Intuition
- Description: In this outtake from "Recalling a Buddha: Memories of the Sixteenth Karmapa" (www.karmapaxvi.com), Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche comments on the outer and inner guru as well as intuition. Filmed in Nepal.
|This article uses material from Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche on Wikipedia (view authors). License under CC BY-SA 3.0.|