Guarisco was born in Varese, Italy. After spending his formative years in Como, he went on to study art and receive a Master of Arts before traveling to India to study Buddhism.
In the early 1970s, he studied under the auspices of several Theravada leaders in India including Satya Narayan Goenka. He later studied Buddhist philosophy in a Tibetan monastery in Switzerland for ten years, after which he was invited by Kalu Rinpoche to Sonada, India to work as a translator. While engaged in his projects there, he met his main teacher Chogyal Namkhai Norbu and became an active member of the Dzogchen Community.
He translated many works from Tibetan into English, including co-translating two volumes of Jamgon Kongtrul's Treasury of Knowledge. In the later years of his life, he taught meditation and contemplation all over the world, inclluding Europe, Russia, China, Australia, USA, Mexico, and Latin America.
Elio Guarisco died in November 2020 in Como, Italy.
Search for videos:
- Search YouTube for: Elio Guarisco Buddhism
- Elio Guarisco - The Art of Translating Dzogchen
- Description: Interview with Elio Guarisco, Tibetan scholar & translator. Host: Raymond Lam, Editor, Buddhistdoor International
- Elio Guarisco (1954-2020) An Obituary from Shambhala Publications
- Elio Guarisco Blog
- Elio Guarisco Facebook page
- Elio Guarisco Goodreads bio
- Elio Guarisco Shang Shung Institute bio
- "Elio Guarisco". Shambhala Publications. Retrieved 2019-11-05.
|This article includes content from Elio Guarisco on Wikipedia (view authors). License under CC BY-SA 3.0.|