|Part of a series on|
Khantipalo, or Phra Khantipalo, is a Western Buddhist teacher and former Theravada monk.
Laurence Mills was born in London in 1932, and educated at Thetford Grammar School in Norfolk. After training as a horticulturalist he worked at Kew Gardens in London. During his national service on the Suez Canal he read a book on Buddhism which inspired a lifelong interest in Buddhist studies. As a result he travelled to India and South-East Asia, eventually ordaining as a monk in the Thai Dhammayuttika Nikaya. He became an extremely accomplished Pali scholar and published a great many influential books and articles on Buddhism.
After thirty years as a Theravada monk, including extended periods as a forest hermit, he disrobed to pursue further research into Mahayana Buddhism, in particular the Tibetan Dzogchen tradition. In 1973 he established Wat Buddha Dhamma in New South Wales, and in 1991 he established the Bodhicitta Buddhist Centre in Queensland.
He is one of the founding fathers of Buddhism in Australia and is well known for his inspirational practice and teaching. After a lifetime of service to Buddhism he finally succumbed to ill health and now resides in a medical care facility in Melbourne, Victoria. In 2010 he re-ordained as a novice in the Vietnamese Mahayana tradition under the name Minh An, "Peace with Wisdom".
- Lawrence, Khantipalo (2002), Noble Friendship: Travels of a Buddhist Monk, Windhorse Publications, ISBN 1-899579-46-X
- Khantipalo, Bhikku (1989). Buddhism Explained: An Introduction to the Teachings of Lord Buddha with Reference to the Belief in and the Practice of Those Teachings and Their Realization. Chiang Mai: Jareuk Publications Odeon Store. ISBN 974-276-501-4.
- Khantipalo, Bhikku (1981). Calm and Insight: A Buddhist Manual for Meditators. London: Curzon. ISBN 0-7007-0141-9.
- Bhikkhu Khantipalo (2011), His Majesty King Rama the Fourth, Mongkut
- Publications by Khantipalo on accesstoinsight
- Publications by Khantipalo on greatwesternvehicle
- Publications by Khantipalo at Wisdom Books
- Publications by Khantipalo at Theravada-Dhamma
- Bhikkhu Khantipalo, Lay Buddhist Practice
Search for videos:
- Search YouTube for: Khantipalo Buddhism
- Description: DESCR
Living people list
|This article uses material from Khantipalo on Wikipedia (view authors). License under CC BY-SA 3.0.|