Brian Peter Harvey (born 1951) is a contemporary British scholar of Buddhism. Harvey received his Ph.D under the supervision of Ninian Smart at Lancaster University. He was a Professor of Buddhist Studies at the University of Sunderland prior to his retirement.
Harvey is the author of several books, including:
- An Introduction to Buddhism: Teachings, History and Practices published by Cambridge University Press.
- The Selfless Mind: Personality, Consciousness and Nirvana in Early Buddhism, Routledge
- An Introduction to Buddhist Ethics: Foundations, Values and Practices published by the Cambridge University Press.
His papers on Theravada Buddhism have appeared in many peer-reviewed journals, but his contributions to the broader Buddhist studies include an anthology of Theravāda, Mahāyāna and Vajrayāna texts that is being distributed by Mahachulalongkorn Rajavidyalaya University in Thailand.
He co-founded UK Association for Buddhist Studies with professor Ian Harris, and has been an editor of the journal Buddhist Studies Review.
- "Peter Harvey - University of Sunderland - Academia.edu". sunderland.academia.edu.
- 2nd edition preface, page xv
- The Selfless Mind (PDF), Handful of Leaves
- Harvey, Peter (13 September 2013). "The Selfless Mind: Personality, Consciousness and Nirvana in Early Buddhism". Routledge – via Google Books.
- Peter Harvey Biography, Academia, University of Sunderland
- Peter Harvey, Secular Buddhist Association
|This article includes content from Peter Harvey on Wikipedia (view authors). License under CC BY-SA 3.0.|