Moffitt attended the University of Tennessee at Knoxville where in 1966 he helped found the Tennessee Intercollegiate State Legislature, an annual legislative session held by Tennessee college students. After graduating in 1971 with a M.S. in Economics, Moffitt co-founded 13-30 Corporation with Chris Whittle and served as editor-in-chief and president from 1974-1983. In 1979, 13-30 Corporation purchased Esquire magazine and Moffitt served as chief executive officer and editor-in-chief until 1987. Upon selling Esquire to Hearst Magazines, he left the publishing enterprise he created to begin a period of personal exploration that included studying mindfulness meditation and Theravada Buddhism. In 2001, Moffitt was ordained to teach vipassana meditation. His teaching is influenced by Ajahn Sumedho and his teacher Ajahn Chah. Moffitt is the founder of the Life Balance Institute, a non-profit organization dedicated to the study and practice of spiritual values in daily life. He also founded the Marin Sangha in San Rafael, Calif., and from 1998 until 2007 he was a contributing editor for Yoga Journal. Phillip is a member of the Guiding Teachers Council, and teaches regularly, at Spirit Rock Meditation Center in Woodacre, California.
- "How Suffering Got A Bad Name," HuffingtonPost.com
- "Living Skillfully: Knowing the Two Kinds of Desire," HuffingtonPost.com
- "Practice Happiness," Yoga Journal, May 2008
- "Decision Time," Body and Soul, February 2008
- "Awakening in the Body," Shambhala Sun, September 2007
- "Starting Over," Yoga Journal, February 2007
- "The Tyranny of Expectations," Yoga Journal, Nov/Dec 2004
- "The Heart’s Intention," Yoga Journal, Sep/Oct 2003
- "The Yoga of Relationship," Yoga Journal, Jul/Aug 2003
- "Living in an Age of Fear," Yoga Journal, Mar/Apr 2003
- "Healing Your Mother Wound," Yoga Journal, Sep/Oct 2002
- "Forgiving the Unforgivable," Yoga Journal, Jan/Feb 2002
- "Violence Against Self," Yoga Journal, Mar/Apr, 2001
- "The Language of the Soft Heart," Yoga Journal, Sep/Oct 2000
- "Life Dancing," Yoga Journal, Jul/Aug 2000
- "Disappointment is Hell," Yoga Journal, May/June 2000
- "When $2 Million Isn’t Enough," Esquire, May 1989
- "Cooling Out," Esquire, December 1986
- "Everyman’s Xanadu," Esquire, April 1986
- "The Dark Side of Excellence," Esquire, December 1985
- "The Time of Your Life," Esquire, April 1985
- "Does Anyone Know What Time it is?" Esquire, November 1984
- "Why Men Grow Flowers," Esquire, October 1984
- "Spirit Rock".
- "University of Tennessee".
- Moon, Amy (27 June 2011). "San Francisco Chronicle, 6 April 2008". The San Francisco Chronicle.
- "Folio 30 May 2008".
- "Life Balance: About Phillip Moffitt".
- "Knoxville News Sentinel, 2006".
- Fost, Dan (15 July 2001). "San Francisco Chronicle, 15 July 2001". The San Francisco Chronicle.
Search for videos:
- Search YouTube for: Phillip Moffitt Buddhism
- The Roots of Suffering: Greed, Aversion, and Delusion
- Description: The Buddha taught that the origins of suffering are greed, aversion, and delusion, which he called the Three Unwholesome Roots. Through mindfulness we can liberate ourselves from these tendencies of mind and ease our suffering.
Living people list
All people | Historical people | Living people | More people categories...
|This article includes content from Phillip Moffitt on Wikipedia (view authors). License under CC BY-SA 3.0.|