Richard Hayes (professor)
Richard Hayes (aka Dharmacārī Dayāmati) (born 1945) is an Emeritus professor of Buddhist philosophy at the University of New Mexico. He received his Ph.D. in religious studies from the University of Toronto in 1982. Hayes moved to Canada in 1967 in order to avoid being drafted for the Vietnam War.
For many years Hayes was moderator and a prolific contributor to the now defunct online discussion group Buddha-L. Buddha-L attracted a mix of scholars and amateurs and hosted vigorous and at times acrimonious debates.
As well as teaching Buddhism and Sanskrit, Hayes is himself a Buddhist and a Quaker. In a brief blog bio he says he was "Initiated as a dharmachari with the name Dayāmati into the Triratna Buddhist Order on January 26, 2000. I am also a member of Albuquerque Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers). Hayes is a noted essayist (Land of No Buddha) and blogger (New City of Friends, Out of a Living Silence) of considerable wit and clarity. He has expressed vehement political opinions, and been critical in particular of Republican politicians.
- Hayes, R. P. (1988). Dignāga on the Interpretation of Signs (Studies of Classical India). Springer. ISBN 90-277-2667-1.
- Hayes, Richard P. (1998). Land of No Buddha: Reflections of a Sceptical Buddhist. Birmingham: Windhorse Publications. ISBN 1-899579-12-5.
- Hayes, Richard P.; Hori, Victor Sogen; Shields, James Mark (2002). Teaching Buddhism in the West: From the Wheel to the Web. Curzon Critical Studies in Buddhism. Routledge Curzon. ISBN 0-7007-1556-8.
- Prof. Hayes site at The University of New Mexico
- New City of Friends - Richard Hayes' blog
- publication list
- Audio recording of Richard Hayes lecture on "Self: Myth, Delusion, Fiction, or Prerequisite?" at the University of Chicago
- Hayes, Richard P. "UNM Philosophy Department Faculty: Dr. Richard Hayes". www.unm.edu.
- Land of No Buddha, p.18
- Hayes, Richard P. "Richard Hayes' Research Activities". www.unm.edu.
- Dayamati. New City of Friends. http://dayamati.blogspot.co.uk/
Search for videos:
- Search YouTube for: Richard Hayes (professor) Buddhism
- Description: DESCR
Living people list
|This article uses material from Richard Hayes (professor) on Wikipedia (view authors). License under CC BY-SA 3.0.|