Rupert Mark Lovell Gethin (born 1957, Edinburgh) is Professor of Buddhist Studies in the Department of Theology and Religious Studies and codirector of the Centre for Buddhist Studies at the University of Bristol, and (since 2003) president of the Pali Text Society. He holds a BA in Comparative Religion (1980), a master's degree in Buddhist Studies (1982), and a PhD in Buddhist Studies (1987), all from the University of Manchester. He was appointed Lecturer in Indian Religions by the University of Bristol in 1987, and then Professor In Buddhist Studies in 2009.
His main area of research is the history and development of Buddhist thought and practice in the Nikayas and Abhidhamma. His major publications include The Buddhist Path to Awakening and Sayings of the Buddha: New translations from the Pali Nikayas. His 1998 book The Foundations of Buddhism is frequently used in university-level classes on Buddhism in English-speaking countries.
Gethin is a practicing Buddhist. He initially studied meditation in the Samatha Trust organization, which has its roots in the meditation practice of Nai Boonman, a former Thai Theravadan Buddhist monk. Gethin has led a class on mindfulness of breathing in Bristol since the 1990s.
- Gethin's staff page at the University of Bristol, with publication history and biography
- University Chaplaincy - Buddhist Chaplains
- Rupert Gethin on Buddhism and the Self (History of Philosophy website - audio)
- Rupert Gethin: "On Death and Rebirth, and What Happens in Between: Two Buddhist Accounts of Why it Matters" (video)
Search for videos:
- Search YouTube for: Rupert Gethin Buddhism
- Abhidhamma Concept of Attention - Rupert Gethin
- Description: A comprehensive presentation of the Theravada concept of 'Mental States' and the 'Thought Process' given at the Mind and Life seminar organized by His Holiness the Dalai Lama. The discussion becomes interesting with the practical inquiries and contrasting views of the other Abhidharma traditions posed by His Holiness.
- Talk by Rupert Gethin at Stanford University
- Description: Rupert Gethin: "On Death and Rebirth, and What Happens in Between: Two Buddhist Accounts of Why it Matters", May 17, 2018
- Rupert Gethin - a lecture on Abhidharma
- Description: A lecture by Professor Rupert Gethin: "Mapping the Buddha's Mind – Reflections on the Abhidharma and the Classification of Mental States". This lecture was given at the Hebrew University during Gethin's visit in Israel, in May 2014, for the launch of the Hebrew edition of his book: The Foundations of Buddhism.
Living people list
|This article uses material from Rupert Gethin on Wikipedia (view authors). License under CC BY-SA 3.0.|