Steven D. Goodman
Steven D. Goodman (1945-2020) was a noted author, professor, and translator of Tibetan Buddhist works.
"He received his Ph.D. in Far Eastern Studies from the University of Saskatchewan, Canada, under the pioneering Buddhist scholar Herbert V. Guenther. He lectured and taught Buddhist philosophy and comparative religion at the University of California at Berkeley and Santa Barbara, Rice University, the Graduate Theological Union, Nyingma Institute, and Naropa Institute, and was the recipient of a Rockefeller Fellowship at Rice University Center for Cultural Studies. He was a founding board member and president of the Buddhist Film Foundation."
He also taught at the California Institute of Integral Studies in San Francisco for twenty years, and at the time of his death was Research and Program Director of Asian and Comparative Studies there. His book, The Buddhist Psychology of Awakening, was published in July of 2020.
He was also an advisor for the Khyentse Foundation, where he was a member of the Working Committee for 84000: Translating the Words of the Buddha, a project dedicated to translating the entire Tibetan Buddhist Canon into the English language.
- The Buddhist Psychology of Awakening: An In-Depth Guide to Abhidharma (Shambhala Publications, 2020)
- Tibetan Literary Arts (Shang Shung Institute/Smith College, 2007; Marit Cranmer, curator), contributer
- “Transforming the Causes of Suffering” in Mindfulness in Meaningful Work (Parallax Press, 1994)
- Tibetan Buddhism: Reason and Revelation (SUNY Press, 1992), co-editor and contributor
- "Why Should I Care about the Abhidharma?", Lion's Roar, Aug 2020 (adapted from The Buddhist Psychology of Awakening)
- "Remembering Mysteries of Death: Personal Encounters with The Tibetan Book of the Dead", Spring 2012 issue of Inquiring Mind (Vol. 28, No. 2), accessed Aug 2020
- "Interview with Steven Goodman: Wisdom Crazy", Spring 2005 issue of Inquiring Mind (Vol. 21, No. 2), Accessed Aug 2020
- "The Vajra Heart Takes a Turbo Spin: Steven Goodman on Tibetan Practice", Fall 1996 issue of Inquiring Mind (Vol. 13, No. 1), Accessed Aug 2020
- More contributions to the journal Inquiring Mind
- Mi-pham rgya mtsho: An Account of His life, the Printing of His Works, and the Structure of His Treatise entitled mKhas pa'i tshul la 'jug pa'i sgo, Windhorse I, 1981
Search for videos:
- Search Vimeo for: Steven D. Goodman
- Steven Goodman on Abhidharma
- Description: Steven Goodman discusses the Abhidharma and his text The Buddhist Psychology of Awakening.
Search for videos:
- Search YouTube for: Steven D. Goodman Buddhism
- Dr. Steven D. Goodman & Heidi Gustafson present "Conjuring Deities" at OPUS
- Description: Dr. Steven D. Goodman and Heidi Gustafson: "Conjuring Deities: Archetypal Presence in Ugaritic and Tibetan Visionary Texts"
- Remembering Steven D. Goodman, author, professor, and translator of Tibetan Buddhist works, Berkeleyside, Aug 2020
- A Tribute to Steven Goodman (1945 – 2020) from Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche, Khyentse Foundation, August 4, 2020
- A Tribute to Steven Goodman (1945 - 2020) from John Canti, Khyentse Foundation, Aug 2020
- Steven D. Goodman, Translator of Tibetan Buddhism for the West, Has Died, Tricycle, Aug 2020
- The Cool Wizardry of Steven D. Goodman, Lion's Roar, Aug 2020
- In memoriam (Steven Goodman), Buddhist Film Foundation, Aug 2020
- Steven Goodman, The Mirror, Aug 2020
- Steven Goodman (Khyentse Foundation bio), accessed Aug 2020