Sutra of the Wise and the Foolish
The Sutra of the Wise and the Foolish (Skt. Damamūka-nidāna-sūtra; Tib. མདོ་མཛངས་བླུན་, mdo mdzangs blun; C. hsien-yü ching) is a collection of Jataka tales found in the Chinese and Tibetan canons. The text was translated into Chinese from Central Asian sources circa 445 CE, and was later translated into the Tibetan language from the Chinese source text.
The history of this unusual scripture is still uncertain. Legend has it that the tales were heard in Khotan by Chinese monks, who translated them into Chinese. In the caves of Dunhuang there are many wall paintings illustrating stories from the Sutra of the Wise and the Foolish, as well as painted scrolls on the same theme.
The text was translated into Mongolian from Tibetan.
- Sutra of the Wise and the Foolish, translated from the Mongolian by Dr. Stanley Frye, Library of Tibetan Works and Archives
- Mair, Victor H. (1993). "The Linguistic and Textual Antecedents of The Sūtra of the Wise and the Foolish", Sino-Platonic Papers 38.
- Roesler, Ulrike (2007). “Materialien zur Redaktionsgeschichte des mDzangs blun: Die Selbstaufopferung des Prinzen Sujāta.” Indica et Tibetica. Michael Hahn felicitation volume. Edited by Konrad Klaus and Jens‐Uwe Hartmann. Wien 2007: 405‐422. (Wiener Studien zur Tibetologie und Buddhismuskunde 66.)
- Schiefner, Anton (1852). Ergänzungen und Berichtigungen zu Schmidt's Ausgabe des Dsanglun. St. Petersburg: Buchdruckerei der Kaiserlichen Akademie der Wissenschaften
- Schmidt, Jakob (1843). Der Weise und der Thor, Leipzig: Leopold Voss, vol.1, vol.2
- Takakusu, Junjirō (1901) "Tales of the Wise Man and the Fool, in Tibetan and Chinese." Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society of Great Britain and Ireland (New Series) 33.3: 447-460.
- Terjék, József (1969). "Fragments of the Tibetan Sutra of «The Wise and the Fool» from Tun-huang." Acta Orientalia Academiae Scientiarum Hungaricae 22.3: 289-334.
- Read the Tibetan text online at Tibetan Buddhist Resource Centre
- Painted scrolls from Dunhuang illustrating the sutras, at the British Museum.
|This article includes content from Sutra of the Wise and the Foolish on Rigpawiki (view authors). Licensed under CC BY-NC 3.0|