Bhikkhu Anālayo is a scholar-monk, writer and teacher in the Theravada tradition. He is the author of numerous books on meditation and early Buddhism, such as Satipatthāna: The Direct Path to Realization, Perspectives on Satipatthāna, and Satipatthāna Meditation: A Practice Guide.
"He is a Faculty Member at the Barre Center for Buddhist Studies, having retired from being a professor at the Numata Center for Buddhist Studies at the University of Hamburg. His main area of academic research is early Buddhism, with a special interest in the topics of meditation and women in Buddhism." He is also a co-founder of the Agama Research Group.
"Bhikkhu Anālayo was born in Germany in 1962 and ordained in Sri Lanka in 1995. In the year 2000 he completed a PhD thesis on the Satipaṭṭhāna-sutta at the University of Peradeniya (published by Windhorse in the UK). In the year 2007 he completed a Habilitation research at the University of Marburg, in which he compared the Majjhima-nikāya discourses with their Chinese, Sanskrit, and Tibetan counterparts. Besides his academic activities, he regularly teaches meditation."
He has developed 12-week online course, The Foundations of Mindfulness, produced through a partnership between the Insight Meditation Society and Wisdom Publications, which explores how the study and practice of mindfulness intersects with areas such as compassion, ethics, wisdom, concentration, and more.
- Selected works:
- Lists of publications
Search for videos:
- Search YouTube for: Bhikkhu Anālayo Buddhism
- A discussion with Ven. Bhikkhu Anālayo about his new book "Deepening Insight"
- Description: This video is of a discussion with Ven. Bhikkhu Anālayo about his new book "Deepening Insight: Teachings on vedanā in the Early Buddhist Discourses." He was interviewed by Marta Van Patten on November 28, 2021
- Bhikkhu Anālayo on Respecting the Different Buddhist Traditions
- Description: In March 2016, Core Faculty member Bhikkhu Analāyo sat down with BCBS's Director of Online Learning Evan Henritze to discuss his article, "Mindfulness in Different Buddhist Traditions"
- Insight Meditation Society - Bhikkhu Anālayo
- Agama Research Group
- The Foundations of Mindfulness, online course
- Anālayo (2004). Satipaṭṭhāna, the Direct Path to Realization. Birmingham: Windhorse. ISBN 978-1899579549.
- Bhikkhu Yogananda (15 October 2010). "Anālayo, The Meditative Scholar". Archived from the original on 11 November 2010. Retrieved 15 October 2010.