The six paramitas are:
- 1. dāna-pāramitā - to cultivate the attitude of giving
- 2. śīla-pāramitā - skillful conduct, refraining from harm
- 3. kṣānti-pāramitā - forbearance, the ability not to be perturbed by anything
- 4. vīrya-pāramitā - joyous effort, to find joy in what is virtuous, positive or wholesome
- 5. dhyāna-pāramitā - meditative stability, not to be distracted
- 6. prajñā-pāramitā - discrimating wisdom, the perfect discrimination of phenomena
The sixth paramita can be further sub-divided into four parts, resulting in ten paramitas.
The six paramitas are identified in many sources in the Sanskrit tradition, including the following.
- Shantideva’s Bodhicharyavatara
- Nagarjuna’s Letter to a Friend
- Chandrakirti’s Introduction to the Middle Way
- Dzogchen Ponlop, Rebel Buddha (Boston: Shambhala, 2010), pages 124-132.
- Geshe Sonam Rinchen, The Six Perfections, translated by Ruth Sonam (Ithaca: Snow Lion, 1998), ISBN 978-1559390897
- Khenpo Ngawang Pelzang, A Guide to the Words of My Perfect Teacher (Boston & London: Shambhala, 2004), pages 181-219.
- Patrul Rinpoche, The Words of My Perfect Teacher (Boston: Shambhala, Revised edition, 1998), pages 234-261.
- Khenpo Kunpal, The Nectar of Manjushri's Speech, translated by Padmakara Translation Group. Published by Shambhala. ISBN 978-1-59030-439-6
- Khenpo Palden Sherab Rinpoche,Ceasless Echoes of the Great Silence, a Commentary on the Heart Sutra. Translated by Khenpo Tsewang Dongyal Rinpoche. Pages 81-96. Published by Sky Dancer Press. ISBN 1-880976-01-7
Search for videos:
- Search YouTube for: Six paramitas Buddhism
- RINGU TULKU • BE THE CHANGE ... by practicing the 6 PARAMITAS
- Description: At his Spring Visit to BODHICHARYA BERLIN Ringu Tulku Rinpoche summerized the SIX PARAMITAS as the way to BE THE CHANGE in the context of his teachings on the DHAMMAPADA.
- WISDOM IN ACTION • 1 • "GIVING" • RINGU TULKU RINPOCHE • 6 PARAMITAS
- Description: A brief teaching by Ringu Tulku Rinpoche on the first of the six paramitas. Part of a set of six short videos.